Reusable grocery bags have become a new normal among people who understand the negative impacts of plastic bags on the environment. However, reusing bags can attract germs, viruses, bacteria, dirt, etc., too. So, cleaning and disinfecting the bags every now and then is important, especially since the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus.
So, in this blog, we will share a few details on how to clean and disinfect reusable bags. But before that, let’s understand –
The difference between cleaning and disinfecting
• Cleaning: Cleaning is when the germs, dirt, grime and other things are removed from the surface of an object. However, one cannot totally rely on cleaning, no matter how effective the cleaning agent is, because cleaning just lowers the number of germs from the surface.
• Disinfecting: Disinfecting is when you kill the germs and bacteria from the object’s surface. This way, you lower the risk of spreading germs, but again, disinfecting won’t “clean” the object.
Therefore, cleaning and disinfecting reusable shopping bags are crucial steps to follow.
How to wash reusable bags?
The cleaning method you opt for will depend upon the bag you have.
1- Non-woven reusable bags
These bags are made of non-woven polypropylene, which is again a type of plastic. This means non-woven bags don’t do well in a washer or dryer. So, wash them by hand using warm soapy water and line dry.
2- Cotton and Canvas bags
This type of reusable bag is quite easy to clean. All you need to do is throw them in the washer with detergent and some hot water. Plus, they are dryer-friendly, too, meaning toss them in the dryer for clean, new-looking reusable bags.
3- Insulated bags
Insulated bags are usually used for keeping meat and dairy items. So, it is important to be extremely thorough when cleaning them. Wash them by hand in warm soapy water and then wipe them down with an antibacterial wipe. Also, take extra care of the seams.
4- Nylon bags
Even though you can clean nylon bags just like Canvas or cotton bags, it is best to hand wash them for better durability. Also, turn them inside out when line drying.
How to disinfect grocery bags?
Disinfecting should be an important step you must follow after cleaning the bags.
To disinfect the grocery bags:
• Put on your trusty gloves
• Use the antibacterial solution on the bag
• Get the bag visibly wet enough for a minimum of four minutes
• Lastly, use a paper towel to wipe the excess
That’s it; you are done. You will end up with a clean and disinfected bag by the end.
Over to you
Well, there you have it—a compact yet comprehensive guide on cleaning and disinfecting your reusable bags wholesale easily.